The Sandwich Man (1966) – Posters : Gallery
The Sandwich Man is a 1966 British comedy film starring Michael Bentine, Dora Bryan, Harry H. Corbett, Bernard Cribbins, Diana Dors, Norman Wisdom, Terry-Thomas and Ian Hendry. It was written by Bentine in conjunction withRobert Hartford-Davis. Hartford-Davis also directed the film.
Bentine takes the leading role, playing Horace Quilby, a mild-mannered widower living in the London Docklands. His job as a sandwich-board man requires him to wander around London wearing morning dress and carrying advertisements. He is also secretary of the Sandwichmen’s Brotherhood. But his real interest in life is pigeon racing, especially ‘Esmerelda’, who is racing from Bordeaux to London.
During the course of one day, Quilby encounters a host of eccentric characters, who are played by some of Britain’s best known comedy and character actors, and becomes involved in a series of capers. The main story thread sees Quilby reunite Sue (Suzy Kendall), a young model with Steven, her errant boyfriend.
Esmerelda wins her race, and the whole of Quilby’s neighbourhood join in the celebrations.
The film was poorly received at the time of its release, but has since achieved some cult status among film fans, particularly for its backdrop of London in the Swinging Sixties.
- Michael Bentine as Horace Quilby, The Sandwich Man
- Dora Bryan as Mrs. DeVere
- Harry H. Corbett as Mack – Stage-Door Keeper
- Bernard Cribbins as Harold – the Photographer
- Diana Dors as First Billingsgate Lady
- Ian Hendry as Policeman On Motorcycle
- Stanley Holloway as Park Gardener
- Wilfrid Hyde-White as Lord Uffingham
- Michael Medwin as Sewer Man
- Ron Moody as Rowing Coach
- Anna Quayle as Second Billingsgate Lady
- Terry-Thomas as Scoutmaster
- Norman Wisdom as Boxing Vicar
- Donald Wolfit as Car Salesman
- David Buck as Steven Mansfield
- Suzy Kendall as Sue
- Con Maloney the Hopscotch-playing Boy
- Tracey Crisp as Girl in the Black Plastic Mac
- Alfie Bass as Model Yachtsman
- Leon Thau as Ram
- Earl Cameron as Bernard – Bus Conductor
- Hugh Futcher as Gogi
- Peter Jones as Escapologist’s Assistant
- John Le Mesurier as Abadiah – Senior Sandwich Man
- Bartlett Mullins as George Pocket
- Sydney Tafler as fish market filleter
- Michael John Chaplin (Charlie’s son) as the sidewalk artist